Easy Chicken Curry Recipe
Chicken Curry Recipe Ingredients
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 piece of ginger 2 cm
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large tomato
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Preparation of Chicken Curry Recipe
This chicken curry recipe with coconut milk has been adapted to our gastronomy from the original Indian chicken curry recipe, and its ingredients (unlike this original dish) include spices that are easy to find. However, it is advisable that the curry powder that you are going to use for this dish is of high quality, so you could look for it in a supermarket for Indian products.
This recipe can be prepared either using coconut milk, yogurt or cream; These ingredients are responsible for giving it its creamy texture. However, the choice of this ingredient depends on your preferences.
Since it is a spicy dish, you can prepare it more or less strongly, depending on the taste of the diners. Therefore, if you are looking for a mild dish, you could not add cayenne pepper and only a small pinch of heat.
Instructions to Cook Chicken Curry
- Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add a little oil and then add the onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, and pepper to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, until it is no longer pink.
- Pour in the coconut milk, chicken broth, and diced tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the curry for 20-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the cilantro (if using) and serve the curry over rice or with naan bread.
Regarding the chicken that you should use, the most recommended parts are the breasts, since they contain more meat to take advantage of. To offer an optimal presentation of the curried chicken breasts and to provide ease at mealtime, it is advisable to cut them into “bite” size pieces.
On the other hand, when cooking, the order in preparation is essential; so you must have all the utensils you need and the ingredients ready. In this sense, you must have the appropriate pans on hand and products at room temperature.
To prepare this rich oriental recipe, start by chopping the chicken. He continues by cutting the onion and garlic into small cubes and then proceeds to crush the tomato and grate the ginger.
Now that you have the chopped vegetables, place them in a pan on the gas hob and fry them. Then add all the spices: turmeric, curry, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and a pinch of salt. Stir the ingredients and make sure everything is integrated.
Now you can add the minced chicken. Keep stirring until the pieces have been sealed on all sides. Add 1⁄2 glass of water to the mixture. Let cook for 15 minutes over low heat and stir from time to time; If you notice that the mixture is dry, add more water and if, on the contrary, it is very liquid, increase the heat so that the heat evaporates the excess liquid.
It is time to add the coconut milk, mix well and cook for 5 more minutes. Rectify the salt and if you want, add more coconut milk to soften the flavor. This dish is perfect if you accompany it with white rice, which is why curry chicken rice is still the favorite of many.